Skip to main content

Gordy's Main Street Ministry

It was bound to happen eventually. Eventually I would have to face the challenge that lied before me. I didn't know how I'd make things work, but I knew that I had to find a way. As the saying in the business goes "Champions find a way." I looked terrified at what laid before me...mounds and mounds of clothes, papers, books, and boxes full of random objects. Today I had the challenge of cleaning my room. I'm not actually done yet, since I was hit with inspiration and had to write this post quickly before it vanished!

While cleaning, I opened up a folder that held treasures I had forgotten about! I found inspirational stories given to me from camp counselors, pictures, notes written to me from kids I had been a counselor for, and  I found a list of goals from my sophomore and junior year of high school that I had posted on my wall. Then there was this maroon box, I opened it up and found twenty or thirty cards and on them ready "GORDY'S MAIN STREET MINISTRY." Finding these cards filled me with two emotions, happiness and a little bit of sadness. It also brought back a memory...

In 2009 sitting in a coffee shop drowning a sea of negative thoughts I sipped my coffee. I wondered how I had gotten so far down and how further down I could go. Then I heard the unmistakable "Hello!" that I had come so accustomed to hearing in the morning. It was Gordy. I hadn't actually talked to him, but he was a legend in Ashland. He'd walk from one side of town and back stopping in at the local businesses and talking to people on the street. He didn't talk about a religious or political agenda, he wasn't about promoting his business, he just talked to people to talk to them. Today though would be my day to have a conversation with Gordy. He sat down next to me and put out his hand and in his Gordy voice(I don't even know how to begin to describe it) he introduced himself. The enthusiasm in his voice and the caring look he had on his face couldn't help but make me smile, something I hadn't done in a few days. I knew that this truly was someone special.

We talked about everything; weather, sports, my business, and eventually his "ministry." After about twenty minutes of conversation Gordy had to continue his walk to the end of town and cheer up the town. Before he left though, he gave me a stack of roughly 100 homemade business cards. Then he was on his way. The rest of that summer I had the privilege of having visits from Gordy in my office.

Today I live roughly six hours away from Gordy and haven't talked to him since August 2009. It makes me sad that I've lost touch with such an inspirational and caring person. So in honor of Gordy, I'm going to share his "Main Street Ministry" with you all today. Gordy is the epitome of LIVING. Well I suppose, I should get back to finishing my project!


 
LIVE It Up! 
-ZZ- 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Starfish Story

The Starfish Story Original Story by: Loren Eisley One day a man was walking along the beach when he noticed a boy picking something up and gently throwing it into the ocean.  Approaching the boy, he asked, “What are you doing?” The youth replied, “Throwing starfish back into the ocean.  The surf is up and the tide is going out.  If I don’t throw them back, they’ll die.” “Son,” the man said, “don’t you realize there are miles and miles of beach and hundreds of starfish?  You can’t make a difference!” After listening politely, the boy bent down, picked up another starfish, and threw it back into the surf.  Then, smiling at the man, he said…” I made a difference for that one.” Are there starfish in your life that are washed up on shore? Is there one person in your life who you could influence for the better? We all have a responsibility to help each other out. Never tell yourself that what you do doesn't make a difference, because to one it could make all the...

Why Today Rocked!!!

Alright, so I tried really hard to make this a video post buuuut was terribly unsuccessful. I'm still going to share with you why today rocked. The weather was awesome! I don't know what it was like else where, but here in Appleton WI it was sunny and mid 40s. Perfect running weather! Starbucks has the greatest coffee of the day right now. It's called "Tribute Blend" and it freaking rocks. I'm a huge coffee drinker so a good cup of coffee is a great way for me to start off the day. It's almost the weekend! Who doesn't love love the weekend?  The challenges of the day. Today was ridiculously challenging. First it took me a good hour to get secure enough to start taping myself talking. Then it took another good hour or so to say the things I was trying to say the right way. Finally it took 2 hours for me to try and post the video before I had to accept defeat. Still, on the positive side I am now good to go with videoing myself talking! Hopefully th...

Tied Together by a Pair of Shoes

To a runner, a pair of shoes is everything. It's the only piece of equipment that is really needed and sometimes, due to circumstances a pair of shoes can acquire great sentimental value. For me there's one pair that comes to mind. Naturally like any story, I had no idea that when I bought my first pair of Nike Air Max Motos that I would one day hold them in my hands with tears in my eyes. It was a late August day and Cross Country had just begun. I skipped out on practice to go hangout with a friend, Cody, who lived out of town. While I was staying at his house we decided that I shouldn't totally miss practice so we came up with the idea that I would just practice with his team. However, because of state regulations I couldn't practice with the team, so I just did my own workout. After the workout we went back to Cody's house and raided the kitchen cupboards and the fridge. As we sat there chowing down, Cody looked at me and said, "Dude one day you're...